stop me if you’ve heard this one before…Posted: September 21, 2010
The following things are found in the premiere of the The Event and the first season of Lost:
- A plane
- People being tossed around in said plane
- A beach
- The ocean
- Lingering shots of women in bikinis (or some form of undress)
- Someone drowning
- Fake deep philosophical conversations
- A weird “let’s have a threesome vibe!” among several characters (Kate, Sawyer, and Jack in Lost; Blonde girl, Brown hair girl, and dumb looking guy in The Event)
The following things are found in the premiere of the The Event and not the first season of Lost:
- Semi-Evil/Conflicted Luke Danes!
It is actually unfair to compare this show to Lost. The Event is more like the bastard child of Heroes and V.
The one thing that all of the various shows that have tried to cash-in on Lost’s success have never learned is subtlety. It is easy to forget that Lost began as a slow-burn show. In the first two seasons Lost learned the right to go bat-shit crazy in seasons 4 and 5 (time travel!) because it had firmly established the characters and made you care about them. Oh sure, those early seasons had their crazy elements but the scope and scale was kept very narrow in the early years.
And really, I don’t need another show where people sit in a dark room and vaguely discuss something bad that will happen. Or that has aliens with ‘Left Behind’ style powers.
Or mutants. Please don’t let it be mutants.
[An index of our Fall TV 2o1o coverage can be found here]