Why The Trials of Shazam (#2) is a bad comic…Posted: September 28, 2006
Last issue was one of the most horrible comic I have read this year. This issue is better, but very far from being of all sort of quality
Now here’s some BULLET POINT THOUGHTS on this issue. (Trying a new format…)
- I’m glad that Billy traded up from being Captain Marvel to Lord of the Silted Exposition.
- Poor Mary Marvel, she loses her powers, goes into a coma, and her brother just doesn’t seem to give a shit. A pretty big waste of a character who I’ve always enjoyed, mostly because of her appearance in ‘I Can’t Believe Its Not the Justice League’.
- It seems that my co-worker Tom’s theory that “Winick is pretty much trying to write the whole Shazam is actually a kid angle out of the book” has proven true.
- I wonder how that girl managed to put her shirt on while still talking to Freddie on the phone?
- I for one am sick of female characters almost always being in some state of undress during “expositional phone call” sequences. Comics already have enough T&A for a lifetime, we don’t need excuses for more.
- Howard Porter’s art took a turn for the worse this issue. The only thing I liked about the last issue was Porter trying out a new style. This month it just doesn’t work. Much of the art is just plain ugly. Figures and faces are completely off on some panels. A lot of characters look vaguely catish.
- There’s more of my pet peeve this month: pointless magic “power levels”.
Tsk. At least the annoying narration is mostly gone this issue. RATING: UTTER SHIT